Spelt Sandwich Bread
- Bosch Mixer
- 6 Cups Water tepid or cool
- 2.5 tbsp Saf Yeast or your favorite instant yeast
- 3/4 Cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- 3/4 Cup Honey
- 2 tbsp Liquid Sunflower Lecithin
- 2 tbsp Sea Salt
- 10+ Cups Spelt Flour
- Dissolve the year in the water in your mixer. If you are grinding your own flour, use cool water as your flour will be warm.
- Grind 8 cups whole spelt berries. If you do not have a grinder, that makes about 10 cups of flour.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix until incorporated and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Turn on your mixer and add white spelt flour as needed to reach your preferred consistency. I usually add 1-2 cups.
- Allow the machine to knead your dough for a few minutes, be careful though because it's easy to over knead spelt!
- Put the dough in a large oiled bowl and allow to rise until doubled.
- Divide into 6 equal parts, and shape each part into a loaf. I personally roll it into a rectangle, then fold it into thirds, then thirds again cross grain. Then I re-roll into a rectangle, then by hand roll it into a log, then pinch the ends under and place sealed side down in well oiled pans. The crossing of the fibers gives it the best rise!
- Allow to rise until cresting the top of your pans. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until golden brown. You may butter the tops if you like!
- Turn out of pans immediately and allow to cool before slicing. ENJOY!