Bread is one of my favorite reasons to be in the kitchen. The squishy, bouncy feel of dough and the challenge of making delicious tasting loaves is rewarding. I love all kinds of bread, but today I'm going to share how I make our staple bread, Spelt Sandwich Bread.
This is our main loaf that we use for everyday sandwiches and toast. We love all kinds of grains, but nothing equals the delicate nutty flavor of fresh ground Spelt—YUM!!!
Spelt Sandwich Bread Recipe
- 6 Cups Cold Water
- 2 T Saf Yeast
- 3/4 Honey
- 3/4 Olive Oil
- 2-3 T Sunflower Lecithin
- 12 ish Cups Whole Spelt Flour
- 2 T Sea Salt
- 2-4 Cups White Spelt Flour (Vitaspelt)
- Mix the water and yeast just briefly, allow to rest while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Add all ingredients except white flour. Rest for 5 minutes to hydrate the whole grain flour.
- Slowly add white spelt until the right consistency has been reached.
- Knead the dough shortly, about 3-5 minutes… being careful not to over knead!
- Allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour depending on the warmth of your location.
- Divide the dough into 6 loaves and shape. I roll each into a rectangle, then fold into thirds and re-roll into a rectangle. Roll into a "log" and punch ends under, then place in well oiled pans.
- Allow to rise until crowning over the top of the pan, about 1-2 hours.
- Please in a cold over, then set the temperature to 350 degrees and set your timer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from pans to cool, (placing them on their sides for 10 minutes prevents loaves from sinking) then ENJOY!
Spelt Bread Resouces
Whole Spelt Grain for Milling
Spelt is a nutritious and flavorful relative of common wheat. An ancient grain, it is unusual because it retains nearly all of its nutritional value in the kernel, therefore, even after processing, it contains high levels of proteins and carbohydrates. Good source of dietary fiber, thiamine, niacin, iron and potassium. Easy to digest. Contains gluten, but is tolerated by many wheat sensitive people. Spelt has a delicious, light and nutty flavor. Easily substituted for wheat in recipes.Order Spelt Grain Here
White Spelt Flour
VitaSpelt organic white flour is milled from 100% unbleached, unbromated and unenriched pure spelt. Today we work with local farms to grow the ancient grain spelt for our nutritious and healthy products. USDA Certified Organic by Quality Assurance International. Available in organic white and organic whole grain.Buy White Spelt Flour Here
Sunflower Lecithin is rich in Phosphatidyl Choline, which comprises a major portion of our brain and nervous system. In addition, Sunflower Lecithin is naturally rich in Phosphatidyl Inositol, Phosphatidyl Ethanolamine, and is a source of essential fatty acids.Buy Sunflower Lecithin Here