Fuel is on the rise, people are still losing jobs and food is going up in price. With the prediction of even more turbulent economic times ahead, I thought we could share some favorite money saving tips when it comes to food.
Today, let's talk about one turkey. This particular 17lb turkey was purchased around Thanksgiving for about $5. The special was that you could purchase a turkey at a greatly reduced rate when you purchased $50 worth of groceries so every time I went to town for groceries, I purchased a cheap turkey. Out of one turkey I made the following meals:
Roasted Turkey dinner (Friday)
- Roast Turkey
- Mashed potatoes
- Green Beans
7 quarts of turkey broth with leftover carcass (Saturday)
- I whipped out the boiling water caner to accommodate this: 1 Whole turkey carcass, 2+ onions coarsely chopped, 3+ carrots coarsely chopped, 3+ sticks celery coarsely chopped, water to generously cover all then simmered for a day. (yes, 24 hours)
11×14 Pan of Turkey Enchiladas (Sunday potluck)
- Meat from the carcass with seasonings
- Leftover gravy as base for sauce then added 8oz cream cheese and one can of green chilies.
- Cheddar cheese for the top
Turkey Stew (Tuesday)
- Remaining turkey meat, vegetables, 2 quarts broth and wild rice.
Turkey Pot Pie (Thursday)
- Leftover turkey stew turned into a 9×13 pan the covered with biscuit topping.
One turkey provided 4 large meals plus 5 canned quarts of broth as a base for other meals! It also took very little time as I utilized leftovers and built upon them.
As we enter hard times, it's very important to guard against fear. I can tell you from personal experience, (and from what God's word says) that fear will eat away and destroy your guts or "rot your bones". Growing your faith will eliminate fear as they cannot coexist!
Tell me your best methods for saving on food and stretching your dollar. I love learning from you!
Kayla Howard is a stay at home wife and homeschooling mom who loves to teach the T-Tapp method of staying fit in 15 minutes a day from the comfort of your own home. She is a Biblical Health Coach and Senior T-Tapp Trainer, certified to teach all forms of T-Tapp. If you’d like to know more about becoming and staying fit and healthy, Kayla is happy to answer your questions! Send an email to: email@example.com