I love muffins! Of all breakfast foods, muffins are my favorite. We also love spelt flour. In fact, we’ve switched to 100% spelt or einkorn flour in our diet for years. Now when we eat regular wheat products, we notice digestive upset.
People have a lot of questions about using Spelt or Einkorn flour as a replacement for regular wheat flour. Questions like…
Is Spelt and Einkorn gluten free?
The short answer to that question is, no. However, there is a long answer which explains why Spelt or Einkorn may be more easily tolerated by people who are sensitive to wheat. A quick Google search will reveal copious amounts of information about the difference between spelt and wheat and why it’s easier to digest. Really, I didn’t believe it until I felt the effects in my own body!
Can you use spelt or einkorn like regular wheat flour?
YES! FOR SURE! It works cup for cup just like wheat flour!
That said, I posted a picture of my latest muffin creation on Facebook recently and had many requests for the recipe. So whether your brand new to spelt, or looking to expand you usage of this delicious grain, I have a great recipe to share!
- 2 Cups Flour Whole grain spelt or einkorn, or a mix of white flour made from einkorn or spelt and whole grain flour works great!
- 1/2 Cup Maple Sugar or sweetener granulated of your choice
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Melted Butter
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk or your choice milk
- 1 Cup Fresh or Frozen Huckleberries or blueberries
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients and mix until all incorporated, but do not over mix.
- Drop into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes
Kayla Howard loves doing business from her home in the woods where she is the master real food chef, homeschool teacher, goat shepherdess, head gardener and holds a certificate of studies from The Pacific Institute of Aromatherapy Her passion is vibrant health in beautiful homes! www.kaylahoward.com