- Organic white flour for biscuits, pancakes, cookies, etc.. Some things just aren’t worth eating if they have to be whole wheat. I really love Vita Spelt’s white flour–yum!
- Organic sugar from Costco. At least it’s not bleached and washed with icky chemicals, and it doesn’t bust the budget like a lot of natural sugars.
- Vegetables; buying lots of “conventional” veggies is better than little organic veggies. Check out this shopper’s guide for help with which foods are better to eat organically.
- We don’t usually use raw cheese. We choose a good quality, no antibiotics/hormones brand, that isn’t raw, but IS affordable. It’s really easy to do the research on the farm that produces the cheese in your local grocery stores.
- Homemade jelly’s and jams are made with white sugar. Honey, agave, and rapadura just don’t cut the mustard.
- We eat canned tuna. We like tuna. I don’t care if it has mercury in it, it’s cheap and filling. You’re probably more likely to get brain cancer from your cell phone than you are to be harmed by the mercury in tuna.
- Butter always, margarine never.
- Coconut oil, you won’t ever find Crisco in my house. Palm shortening would be my second choice.
- Peanut butter tends to be GMO so go for organic.
- Maple syrup; no matter how often my kids remind me that, “Grandma has Mrs. Butter’s Worth”, we use real maple syrup.
- I do not use corn syrup–with the exception of making candies at Christmas.
- Realsalt and Sea Salt in all things at all times. I prefer the idea of getting my trace minerals from my food rather than a pill.
That’s just a partial list of what we have found to work for our family.
Our kids are very good eaters who enjoy real food. Even so, no matter how I try to disguise beans, my son finds them and passionately declares to die before eating them. However, the same child will beg for a dirt colored “green” smoothie for breakfast or to get the fresh asparagus at the store. Go figure. Truly, you can teach your family to love real food.
I’d love to hear your fun stories about kids and food!