Have you ever used a plant-based remedy for a symptom, because it worked for someone else, or because the book said it would work, only to have it not work at all?
In the western mindset, we tend to see herbs, oils, and natural remedies through a lense of: “I have this symptom, what will take it away?” But matching essential oils to people isn’t about symptoms in the way we have been taught. It’s a simple and beautiful art.
al·che·my | \ ˈal-kə-mē \
Definition of alchemy
2 : a power or process that changes or transforms something in a mysterious or impressive way
Welcome to the Alchemy of Essential Oils!
Join me as we unearth a new way of matching oils to people through a process of looking at the whole person and the whole plant.
We’ve been trained to choose oils based on a single issue we want to support, but we’re so much more than a single issue– we’re complex beautiful creations.
Get instant access to more than 15 beautiful PDF’s you can download and print.
(My notes from Dr. Oli Wenker Workshop @ YL Convention 2017)
These are some notes that I took while attending a class this summer on Brain Health and the gut connection. It’s going to be simple bullet points for you so that I avoid putting my spin on a subject that I am not a professional on — 😉
• The brain works with a mixture of electrical and chemical signals.
• Neuro-Transmitters are made in the gut. When your gut isn’t working, your brain will be missing what it needs to function properly.
• Gut difference is what makes the most difference between people.
• You are 99% microbial – therefore, using chemicals topically or internally destroys your genetic information.
• 70-75% of you immune system sits in your gut.
• People in MOON SUITS farm many of our crops, because what they are putting on our food is SO TOXIC.
• You are exposed to at least 380 chemicals everyday. You are eating stuff everyday that is killing you and your genetic code.
• When a child is treated with 1 week of antibiotics, it increases their chance of getting Alzheimer’s by 4 times.
• Your microbial system is NOT recovered even 6 months after antibiotics, and has been shown to not be fully recovered in some people even after 10 years.
• Your hippocampus is in charge of emotions, memory, inhibitions and balance.
• You can create a new brain. It is regulated by your microbes…Change your food by removing round-up/chemicals, and eat probiotics. If you eat bad stuff, you will shrink your hippocampus.
• Exercise increases the size of your hippocampus.
• To provide more balance between male/females, use more emotional essential oils on men, and more logical essential oils on women.
• It takes 3 seconds for your brain to react to essential oils.
• Oils that stimulate the left (logical) side of your brain are: Peppermint, Lemon, Rosemary, Cloves, Cinnamon Bark, Thieves
• Oils that simulate the right (more emotional) side of your brain: Lavender, cedarwoord, StressAway, Lime, Frainkincense, Copiaba.
My personal summary: Use therapeutic grade essential oils every single day, multiple times per day, eat CLEAN, use clean supplements, and take your probiotics.
1. Essential Oils don’t always smell good. “Then what’s the point?” –you might ask—and it would be a fabulous question.
Essential oils are for plants what our blood is for us–clots our cuts, oxygenates our cells, detoxifies the body, etc… In the human body, essential oils are supportive of all the different systems of the body.
2. Not all essential oils are of equal quality. In fact, the quality of oils varies quite a lot since companies are only required to use 5% of said essential oil in each bottle to label it “100% pure.” The only way to know if your essential oil truly is pure is to have a relationship with your supplier or be the distiller yourself.
3. Essential oils smell a little different to each person, and when used topically on each person. This has to do with the fact that each of us has a slightly different chemistry. You may even find that you dislike some oils, but later grow to crave that oil. Essential oils a God Made, so are beautiful and vibrantly full of life!
4. Not all essential oils are ingestible. In fact, you should never ingest an essential oil that is not labeled for internal consumption. And you should never, ever, ever ingest and oil from a company that doesn’t grow organically, distill properly, and test rigorously.
Young Living has a line of white labeled essential oils called “Vitality” which are safe for internal consumption.
5. It takes merely 26 seconds for an essential oil to hit the bloodstream. Tests have shown oils hit the heart, liver, and thyroid in 3 seconds when inhaled; they were found in the bloodstream in 26 seconds when applied topically. Expulsion of essential oils from the body takes 3-6 hours in a normal, healthy body and 14 hours if you are unwell. According to a study by M.D. Jean Valnet, essential oils can affect every cell in the body within 20 minutes—and then are metabolized like other nutrients.
6. Every chemical in your home can be replaced with an essential oil for a happier, healthier home. It’s totally true. We use them for perfume, scrubbing toilets, freshening laundry, in goat udder washes, on our hair, in our toothpaste, for mopping the floor, and countless other uses.
7. Essential oils are really not oils. WHAT! They are the lifeblood of plants, but are not from the fatty parts of the plant like olive, coconut or almond oil. They will not feel greasy to the touch and will absorb into the skin very quickly.
8. Since essential oils are produced naturally, they cannot be patented. God “owns” the patent on essential oils. They cannot be produced in a lab because no essential oil has ever been completely analyzed…we in fact don’t understand all the ways they work. We’re only scratching the surface on these amazing gifts which have been in use since the beginning of the world.
Low back pain, tailbone pain, knee pain, foot pain… at some point in our life, most of us experience some kind of mild–or even severe chronic pain. We may visit Chiropractors or massage therapists in an attempt to eliminate the pain, only to find it returns without regular care. Is there any way we can “hold our healing”?
This subject totally lights me up!!! What is it about how we move, how we hold ourselves, and how we strengthen ourselves that causes reduction in pain, or increase in pain? Is it possible to simply strengthen, release or change the way we move to eliminate an issue? I think so!!! But unfortunately I only know enough about the subject to make a confusing mess.
I do know that the key to a lot of our “pain issues” is what’s happening with our facsia.
Myfacsial Release describes Facsia as: a specialized system of the body that has an appearance similar to a spider’s web or a sweater. Fascia is very densely woven, covering and interpenetrating every muscle, bone, nerve, artery and vein, as well as, all of our internal organs including the heart, lungs, brain and spinal cord. The most interesting aspect of the fascial system is that it is not just a system of separate coverings. It is actually one continuous structure that exists from head to toe without interruption. In this way you can begin to see that each part of the entire body is connected to every other part by the fascia, like the yarn in a sweater.
If you have chronic pain, cellulite, or injuries, etc… It’s highly likely that releasing your facsia would bring you significant, if not totally relief. You can keep having the Chiropractor “pop” things back in place, but wouldn’t it be better to release the connective tissues so that it can “fall” into place and stay there? It’s worth the effort and time you’ll put into it!
With all that said, I’m gonna send you to some “MASTERS” since I myself am not one. =) Following these links and implementing these techniques may literally change your life!
Tons of videos for specific release in specific areas. I had a personal Skype session with Elisha and she is absolutely brilliant! Consume her videos and you’ll be amazed.
On the very same day that I had my Skype session, my good friend Vicki Helser told me I needed to get a new tool she’d started using for releasing facsia—CRAZY!!!!! We were both releasing facsia and hadn’t even talked about it! Lots of good info on this site.
This has been called by some the “Facsia Workout” and has helped thousands of people find relief from pain and REBUILD muscles to hold their bodies in correct alignment.
I would love to hear your stories if you follow through with these links and find relief!
Essential oils and aromatic herbs were HIGHLY esteemed and daily used by the Hebrews, Jews, early Christians and their neighbors. 46 books of the Bible mention essential oils or aromatic plants! If the use of aromatics was supportive of wellness then, it is supportive of wellness now. I passionately believe that the addition of essential oils to every home will transform lives! Here are 12 of the most commonly mentioned oils in the bible:
Aloes (or Sandalwood)
Used traditionally as incense in religious ceremonies and for meditation, this oil is uplifting and relaxing. It is valued in skin care for its moisturizing and normalizing properties.
Similar in scent to Cinnamon, Cassis was used traditionally in purification mixtures and is supportive of the immune system.
Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica) has a warm, woodsy aroma that creates a comforting, uplifting experience. Use Cedarwood oil to add its invigorating scent to your life through aromatic and topical uses.Young Living Cedarwood essential oil is a great way to enhance your favorite beauty products. You’ll want to use it for its fresh, earthy aroma, in addition to its ability to smooth the look of skin and shine hair. You can also create a calming yet powerful environment when you diffuse this oil or add it to massage oil blends. Smooth skin by adding Cedarwood to your favorite lotions and skin care products. Place a few drops in your shampoo and conditioner for shinier-looking hair. Pamper yourself with an at-home scalp massage. Warm a few drops between your hands and rub into your scalp for healthy-looking hair.
Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens) is especially comforting during the winter season. Its fresh, herbaceous, slightly evergreen aroma is refreshing and restores feelings of security and stability. Cypress is also beneficial for oily or troubled skin.
Sacred Frankincense essential oil supports and maintains the appearance of healthy-looking skin, and has a grounding, uplifting, and inspiring aroma. Apply this oil topically to enhance meditation. Sacred Frankincense includes the naturally occurring constituents alpha-pinene, limonene, and boswellic acid.
Galbanum (Ferula gummosa) has an earthy aroma. It was used in ancient temple ritual incense anointings associated with springtime. Galbanum supports the immune, digestive, respiratory, circulatory, and other body systems.* It is also useful as an aid for troubled or mature skin.
Hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis), a biblical oil that was also sacred to ancient Greeks, has a fresh, woody scent that is slightly sweet. Hyssop is noted for its purifying properties.
Myrrh essential oil may improve the appearance of dry, dull skin, and can be added to your favorite skincare products. Diffuse with Frankincense for an earthy and uplifting aroma. Myrrh includes the naturally occurring constituents furanoeudesma-1,3-diene, curzerene, lindestren.
Myrtle (Myrtus communis) has a clear, fresh, herbaceous scent, similar to eucalyptus. Supportive of the respiratory system, skin, and hair, it has been researched for its effects on glandular imbalances* and its soothing effects when inhaled. It is also helpful for meditation and lifting the spirit.
Onycha is a Biblical oil mentioned in Exodus 30:34 as an ingredient in the Holy Incense to be diffused in temples of worship. Onycha oil (Styrax benzoin) is also a facilitator of supporting skin health.
Rose of Sharon
Cistus (Cistus ladanifer) essential oil comes from a rose that has a soft, honey-like scent. It is believed to be the biblical rose of Sharon. Calming and uplifting, it is helpful for meditating and counseling. Traditionally, cistus has been used for respiratory support.*
Spikenard (Nardostachys jatamansi) was highly regarded in India as a perfume, health-supporting herb, and skin tonic. Prized at the time of Christ, it was used by Mary of Bethany to anoint the feet of Jesus before the Last Supper. This is a relaxing and soothing oil for the skin.
You can purchase this entire set here.